"You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life." ~ Zig Ziglar
ECEW November 2010 Newsletter is now ready.
The true color of networking is often revealed after the event itself. The emails that get traded, the connections we make, and the relationships that continue to grow. Here are 10 things to do immediately after attending a networking function (conferences, seminars, business clubs).
1) Send email. Don’t wait for the next day or the next week. Chances are you won’t get around to it-and even if you do-they may not recall. Send an email to everyone you took a card from. Even if you don’t see an immediate connection, just say thanks.
2) Connect on Facebook. My favorite strategy. I look the people up on Facebook using their business cards and add them to my network. Now, I know their birthdays, their occupation, and their day to day status (literally!). Best Rolodex in the world.
3) Put one thing into action. Too many people walk away from networking events feeling good, but doing nothing. Take one decisive action from what you learned.
4) Introduce two people to each other. One of my colleagues, Jim Penny, is a master at this. He finds one person at each event and introduces them to someone else he thinks they should know. Now, where those two people take the relationship is up to them, but he is always remembered as the guy who made the introduction!
5) Contact one PRP (Potential Referral Partner). One of the best ways to grow a business is through collaboration with others. Joint ventures can be amazingly powerful. Whenever I network, I try to seek out one referral partner. This can be someone that I can send business to or someone whose clients we can help. The best PRPs are those who can figure out a win-win situation. Example: A web designer sends a printer work, while a printer recommends the designer to their clients.
6) If you took pictures, put them up on Facebook. Tag them whenever possible. Pictures are best posted when the memory of the event is still fresh. If you follow #2, then you can also tag people you have added as friends. Pictures are a great way to attract people to your profile as well.
7) Blog or write about your experience. Whenever I come back from events, my mind is spinning with new ideas. If I don’t get them down, they are lost. Bullet point ideas or write them across your white board. Just get them down!
Make sure your website is working well. If you met a lot of people, the chances are that they will check out your website. Make sure that it is up to date and a good representation of who you are.
9) Thank the host – if applicable. This especially applies to local events which are put together by one individual. A quick note thanking them will go a long way.
10) Check networking supplies. Yes, check your stock of cool business cards, pens, and stickers after your event – and before the next one. I can’t tell you how many times I have had to order cards overnite before I learned this lesson. Check your stock after each event, and you will thank yourself later!
Go to ecewsc.com for a list of our upcoming Coffee Connections and Lunch, Learn and Ern.
Kym Mclaughlin speaks on “Advanced Internet Marketing”
Located at: Water’s Edge on Shem Creek
1407 Shrimp Boat Lane, Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina 29464.
She will give you simple steps on how to turn your “deadsite” into a money making website! Search Engine Optimization Pioneer, Kym McLaughlin, Founder of Advanced Internet Marketing, will give you strategic steps that you can take to increase the exposure of your business, build leads and increase revenues through inbound marketing. Learn how to pull traffic, position your site and your business online to become a leader in your industry. For more information on this months Lunch, Lear & Earn and to RSVP to this event click here.
March 18th – Coffee Connection –
8:30am – 9:30am at Just Chill, 1118 Park West Blvd. Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
This Weeks Topic: “Your Communication Strategy”
Give us one successful way that you communicate with your customers and prospects. Email blasts, handwritten notes, Send Out Cards, etc.
March 23rd – Coffee Connection –
8:30am – 9:30am at Laura Alberts
891 Island Park Drive, Daniel Island, SC 29492
This Weeks Topic: “Mentoring”
What types of mentors could you use right now to further your business?
Other Events Around Town
March 6th – 4th Annual Unmasking Colon Cancer Ball
The Ball will launch the Colon Cancer Alliance’s National Dress In Blue Campaign and will feature a live fashion show, designer showcase, music, dancing, entertainment, and more!!
This is a fabulous event for a great cause! Proceeds benefit colon cancer awareness, research, and screenings in South Carolina. Tickets start at $75 per person. To buy tickets and read more on this event click here.
Sincerely, Ellen Stebbins, President ECEW
“Opportunities? They are all around us…there is power lying latent everywhere waiting for the observant eye to discover it.” – Orison Swett Marden
1. Anyone in your life, professional or personal, can act as a your “coach.”
2. The most important thing a coach can do is hold you accountable.
“We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” – Nelson Mandela
By Ellen Stebbins, ECEW President
Lunch & Learn at Zeus Grill & Seafood – Tuesday, February 9 11:30AM – 1PM (one time only change of venue)
Ellen Stebbins, Social Media. Please visit to http://www.ecewsc.com to register for this event! Sponsor: Tab Lowcountry www.tab-lowcountry.com
Social Media IS the future. It’s where we get our news. It’s how we meet and stay in touch with people. It’s how we influence and get influenced. It’s how you position yourself as an expert in ANY field. And it’s how you can grow a huge following of raving fans and build a massive business on the internet. Business success may now have less to do with the size of ad budgets but on the quality of interactions with people and customers. And as many companies are finding out, social media can help improve their bottom line. Ellen Stebbins will give you with an understanding why Social Media is critical to your success and to provide you with an overview of marketing strategies to successfully market yourself online.
Coffee Connections Success Stories…I am looking for more Coffee Connection stories. At our Coffee Connections we will be giving tips for business as well as networking so come by the next one. Meet some new people, network, and learn!
ECEW MEMBER EVENTS AROUND TOWN
Presenting the Carlisle and Per Se Collections NY
Susan Marlowe and Ferdi Stevenson
Professional, Resort, Casual and Cocktail, Jewelry, Accessories and Leathers
Designed for smart and sassy busy ladies.
We will have over 700 fabulous designer garments that mix and match for value and versatility.
Sample our complete online brochures at
www.carlislecollection.com and www.persecollection.com
ECEW members receive special discount. Use Code:ECEW. Sizes 0 – 18. Visa, MC and creative payment plans! Because YOUR clients and competition should never be better dressed than YOU! contact email@example.com for more information.
Women in Business Conference is Friday Feb. 12 from 8-3 at the Marriott Lockwood DT Charleston. Tickets are available through Charleston Chamber and Center for Women. Vendor booths are still available as well. ECEW is a Sponsor!
Joann Stadtmueller will be speaking with Leslie Haywood of Grill Charms as seen on Shark Tank. Our two break out sessions are entitled: Don’t Be A Twit Social / Digital Media is a phenomenon that’s turning everyone into a publisher and content creator. From Youtube to Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin, the list is ever growing, very addictive and the possibilities are endless. But do you really know how to use these tools effectively? Do you keep on target with your business message? Are you making valuable connections for your business? Learn tips, tricks and solutions for furthering your efforts online.
February 11, 20101 Jamie Price Photography
Champagne Opening Reception at Butterfly Consignments 5:30-8:00 PM
482 King Street – Open to the Public
Sponsored by Amanda Rosen, Butter Fly Consignment Boutique and Chocolate provided by Christophe Chocolatier
Friday, Feb. 12th thru Sunday, Feb. 14th. 2010 SEWE show
ECEW member, Chris Rutigliano, will be showing her latest oil paintings depicting many of our water birds: egrets, peeps and gulls, and other more domesticated residents. Stop by and see Chris in the 2nd floor ballroom at Charleston Place Hotel. For more information contact Chris at 425.6766 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
COFFEE CONNECTION at LAURA ALBERTS on DANIEL ISLAND
Tuesday, January 26 8:30AM – 9:30AM
Social Media: Share how you use one of the Social media tools in your business – Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, Blogging, etc…
Event Sponsored By: Sweet Peas Nanny and Babysitting Agency, LLC
At our Coffee Connections we will be giving tips for business as well as networking so come by the next one. Meet some new people, network, and learn!
Coffee Connection Success Stories
“I have two recent success stories. I was able to establish two business relationships because of ECEW. One with Amy Lovette, Pure Water Technology of Charleston, who signed up for a SendOutCards SOCBox and has already referred me to others. Thank you Amy!
And the other connection was with Melissa Brown, Attorney, who signed up for SendOutCards on Friday and is very excited about using SOC to maintain and build her relationships! “
Thank you ECEW for helping us connect!
Nancy Green, Send Out Cards
Newsletter items Due by this Tuesday!
If you have a special for ECEW Members in February that you would like included in the newsletter, please let me know by this Tuesday, midnight.
If you have an event in town for ECEW members as well, please let me know by this Tuesday, midnight., Amy Sinclair – email@example.com.
Who catered the amazing food for 2010 Launch?
Caroline’s Marketing Catering
55 Windermere Blvd
Charleston, SC 29407